Research Scientist | DE, UK, NL, PL
RemoteGermany (office or remote), Berlin, GermanyResearch
DeepL, Europe's leading AI company since 2017, is dedicated to breaking down language barriers and bringing cultures closer together. Our expertise in AI and neural networks has enabled us to create cutting-edge communication technologies for businesses, including the acclaimed DeepL Translator which offers 30+ languages, and DeepL Write, our AI writing companion. Our core offering includes a suite of products and tools made for businesses to communicate more effectively, both internally and with their customers around the globe.
Our goal is to become the global leader in Language AI and build products that help drive better communication, drive connection, and make real-life impact. To do that, we need talented people, like you, who want to be a part of this exciting journey. If you're ready to work with a dynamic team and build your career in the fast-moving AI space, DeepL is your next destination.
What sets us apart
We are committed to innovation and to a nurturing work environment. Founded by developers and researchers, we spend a lot of time actively reviewing the latest trends in generative AI and software engineering. Known for pioneering AI technologies, we dive deep into cutting-edge research to create not only translations, but advanced language solutions. Combining our use of modern technology, comprehensive employee benefits with our open and welcoming work culture is what sets us apart.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, the reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because of the products that have helped countless people worldwide, or maybe it's because of our shared goal of improving communication for individuals and businesses worldwide. What we're certain of is this: being part of DeepL means joining a team committed to innovation and the well-being of its employees.
Who are we looking for?
A long scientific background in neural networks is not required, but a strong interest and practical experience should be present. Unlike other AI research facilities, we actively improve the structure and mathematical optimization of our neural networks. Therefore, we focus on a deep understanding of what happens inside neural networks and their mathematical optimization. You should have broad programming experience that goes beyond scientific computing. Additionally, you should be familiar with at least one deep learning framework.
In short, we are looking for self-motivated and curious researchers who want to learn a lot and enjoy teaching computers awesome things.
- You will conduct cutting-edge research on neural translation networks with our team, develop improvements and try them out
- You develop new revolutionary AI technologies for other upcoming projects in the field of NLP
What we offer
- Diverse and internationally distributed team: joining our team means becoming part of a large, global community with people of more than 90 nationalities. We're more than just colleagues; we're a group of professionals with a shared mission to connect diverse cultures. Our global presence is growing–we've doubled in size nearly every year, with our employees based in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, the US, and Japan, and we continue to expand our network.
- Open communication, regular feedback: as a language-focused company, we value the importance of clear, honest communication. We value smooth collaboration, direct and actionable feedback, and believe that leading with empathy makes us better together.
- Hybrid work, flexible hours: whether you're near or in our hubs in Austin, or prefer the comfort of your own home, you decide where your office is. We offer hybrid opportunities, including the option to work several days in the office each week. This allows you to engage directly with your team and experience the unique energy of our workspace, while still enjoying the flexibility and comfort of working from home as needed. With flexible working hours and trust in your productivity, we are in sync with your team's general locations and time zones to foster effective and seamless collaboration. Our aim is to integrate your work with your lifestyle, ensuring a balance that respects both your needs and our operational requirements, blending in-person interactions with the autonomy of remote work.
- Regular in-person team events: we bond over vibrant events that are as unique as our team, from local team and business unit gatherings, to new-joiner onboardings, to company-wide events that bring us all together–literally.
- Monthly full-day hacking sessions: every month, we have Hack Fridays, where you can spend your time diving into a project you're passionate about and get the opportunity to work with other teams–we value your initiatives, impact, and creativity.
- Comprehensive health insurance: your health comes first. With our comprehensive insurance, we'll make sure you're covered from head to toe.
- 30 days of annual leave: we value your peace of mind. With 30 days off (excluding public holidays) and access to mental health resources, we make sure you're as strong mentally as you are professionally.
- Competitive salary, high-growth scale-up: we offer a competitive salary, stock options, and the experience of a fast-growing scale-up. We've doubled in size year-over-year, so come and be part of our US story, where your contributions not only add up–they multiply.
If this role and our mission resonate with you, but you're hesitant because you don't check all the boxes, don't let that hold you back. At DeepL, it's all about the value you bring and the growth we can foster together. Go ahead, apply—let's discover your potential together. We can't wait to meet you.
Qualities we look for
- You have a solid mathematical background and enjoy solving challenging problems
- Master's degree, diploma or doctorate in mathematics, physics, or computer science
- Programming experience in Python and at least one other programming language, preferably C++
- Experience with a modern machine learning framework such as PyTorch, TensorFlow or JAX
- High level of intrinsic motivation and strong interest in Deep Learning
- Hands-on experience in Deep Learning through self-directed projects that go well beyond course-related exercises
- Curiosity, high willingness to learn and the urge to experiment with the latest technologies to create something new
- High proficiency in English, knowledge of German and other languages is advantageous
Please make sure to send your application in English.