Senior Software Engineer API & Client Libraries
RemoteCologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
Thanks to our unique neural networks, DeepL is able to deliver the world’s best translation quality. Many thousands of users use our API to bring our translations into their applications, translating billions of characters per month. To make our AI easy to use, we provide open source libraries in a wide range of programming languages - to date we have released client libraries for Python, .NET, Node.js, PHP, and Java. You can find more on our GitHub: https://github.com/DeepLcom
You will contribute to our backend services (C#, ASP.NET Core), adding exciting new API features. You will also develop our client libraries and make sure that they deliver value to the developer community. You can expect to work in a highly experienced cross-functional team, and advocate for the needs of our external DeepL enthusiasts!
- Develop and maintain open-source client libraries for the DeepL API in several programming languages
- Contribute to the development of public DeepL APIs as part of the backend development team
- Advocate for external developers internally to support the open-source community's work with DeepL
- Engage in a dialogue with external developers and establish strong community relationships
What we offer
- Interesting and challenging software development work on a product that is already used by over 100 million people
- Frequent code reviews and a focus on high quality
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, and the Netherlands
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Several years of software development experience with solid knowledge in C# or C++, and interest in learning new languages (like e.g. Python, JS, Ruby, Go).
- A degree in computer science or comparable, alternatively several years of professional experience in software development, but in any case you have successfully built software projects from start to finishing using your own initiative
- Experience with programming libraries and API design
- Solid understanding of algorithmic complexity, basic data structures and multithreading
- The ability to explain complex ideas and designs to developers with a wide variety of experience and backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with an open-source community
- Fluent in English, knowledge of other languages is a plus
We'd especially love to talk if you have one of the following:
- Experience developing and maintaining backend systems.
- Experience maintaining public-facing documentation and tutorials.
- Experience speaking at conferences.
We are looking forward to your application!