Senior Software Engineer (f/m/d) - API & Client Libraries- UK, NL, GER or PL
RemoteGermany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Köln oder PaderbornEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
We enthusiastically support DeepL's open source developer community, and want to ensure that external developers can use our API as easily as possible. For this purpose, we want to extend our open-source libraries to cover a wide range of programming languages- so far, we have already published client libraries for Python, .NET/C#, Node.js, PHP, and Java. In August 2022, about 7% of all DeepL API requests (representing many billions of characters translated) were made with one of our client libraries, and thousands of API users made at least one request with a client library during the month. You can learn more on our Github: https://github.com/DeepLcom
You will be responsible for designing and developing these libraries and making sure that they deliver benefits to the developer community. You can expect to work in a highly experienced cross-functional team, and advocate for the needs of our external DeepL enthusiasts!
- Develop and maintain open-source client libraries for the DeepL API in several programming languages
- Take part in the design process of public DeepL APIs as part of the backend development team
- Advocate for external developers internally to support the open-source community's work with DeepL
- Engage in a dialogue with external developers and establish strong community relationships
What we offer
- Interesting and challenging software development work on a product that is already used by over 100 million people
- By developing open source software you will contribute to the translation community and increase your online presence
- Frequent code reviews and a focus on high quality
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, and the Netherlands
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Several years of software development experience with solid knowledge in C++ or C#, and interest in learning new languages (like e.g. Java, Python, JS, Ruby, Kotlin, Swift, Rust)
- A degree in computer science or comparable, alternatively several years of professional experience in software development, but in any case you have successfully built software projects from start to finishing using your own initiative
- Experience with (or interest in) programming libraries and API design
- The ability to explain complex ideas and designs to developers with a wide variety of experience and backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with an open-source community
- Fluent in English, knowledge of other languages is a plus
We'd especially love to talk if you have:
- Experience developing and maintaining backend systems.
- Experience creating tutorials and demos, or speaking at conferences.
We are looking forward to your application!