Senior Networking Specialist - UK, NL, GER or PL
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
In this role, you will take primary responsibility for the maintenance, design and optimisation of the network infrastructure hosting our free, as well as pro service for our customers. In addition, your work will build the foundation for our researchers to train new, even more sophisticated neural networks.
You will join as our top Networking expert and contribute your knowledge to run a highly available and secure infrastructure in our data centers, with responsibility for design and architecture as well as hands-on engineering. We'll also be relying on you to write great documentation that supports our future hires within the Datacentre Ops team!
- Lead the design, implementation and optimisation of the network layout in our datacenters for research and production services
- Install, configure, automate network infrastructure of multiple vendors
- Facilitate a meaningful monitoring and alerting protocol
- Take over responsibility for emergency playbooks and support at troubleshooting
- Implementation of network security together with our IT Security team
- Regular infrastructure training for our Operations team
What we offer
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL/JP, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- The opportunity to visit our datacenters in Iceland and Finland with the team
- No mandatory on-call shifts (but they are available on an opt-in basis)
- Join our cross-functional DevOps department and take the opportunity to learn new skills from your parallel teams in Platform Engineering, System Integrations and Build Pipelines
- Degree in computer science or a practical qualification in a related field
- Significant professional experience in a network engineering role, including experience in network design and architecture
- Strong knowledge of Layer 2 Protocols (STP, MC-LAG, VLAN) and Layer 3 Protocols (Routing, BGP)
- Strong experience in Linux environments
- Advanced Firewalling and VPN knowledge
- Experience in the setup and/or maintenance of 'no-Cisco' infrastructure
- Excellent communication skills in English, any German would be a bonus
- A strong team spirit and collaborative working style rounds out your profile to make you a good fit for our high-performing team
Ideally, you also have one or more of the following:
- CCNP or a similar certification
- Practical experience with Napalm, Ansible or Puppet
- Knowledge of SDN and vxlan
- Experience of mentoring or managing other network engineers to implement your design
We are looking forward to your application!