RemoteGermany (office or remote), Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyResearch
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
Who are we looking for?
A long scientific background in neural networks is not required, but a strong interest and practical experience should be present. Unlike other AI research facilities, we actively improve the structure and mathematical optimization of our neural networks. Therefore, we focus on a deep understanding of what happens inside neural networks and their mathematical optimization. You should have broad programming experience that goes beyond scientific computing. Additionally, you should be familiar with at least one deep learning framework.
In short, we are looking for exceptionally good researchers who want to learn a lot and enjoy teaching computers awesome things.
- You will conduct cutting-edge research on neural translation networks with our team, develop improvements and try them out
- You develop new revolutionary AI technologies for other upcoming projects in the field of NLP
What we offer
- Make an impact! We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up. Over the last year we doubled in size with employees located across UK, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Japan
- We’ve got your back. We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but the human approach, trust, empathy, and inclusivity are just as important
- Flexible work arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne and Berlin you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work
- Regular innovative team-building events – internationally, as well as whole company events
- The opportunity to shape a product experience for an unlimited market with a diverse customer base (international customers, from start-ups to large corporations)
- Hack-Fridays – Every month we have a dedicated, interruption-free day on a company-wide scale to work on a project of your choice. Whatever it might be, if it means something to you, this is your day to do it.
- Stay healthy – We offer a private health and travel insurance that comes with a bonus you can spend on vision, dental or any other needs
- With our people-centric approach, we value Life-Domain Balance and mental well-being! Therefore we offer 30 days of holiday and provide a mental well-being app with access to psychologists, group sessions, and self-guided learning tools
- Annual education budget to advance your skills with courses & qualifications of your choice
- You have a very strong mathematical understanding and enjoy solving challenging problems
- Master's degree, diploma or doctorate in mathematics, physics, or computer science
- Programming experience in Python and at least one other programming language, preferably C++
- Experience with a modern machine learning framework such as PyTorch, TensorFlow or JAX
- High level of intrinsic motivation and strong interest in Deep Learning
- Hands-on experience in Deep Learning through self-directed projects that go well beyond course-related exercises
- Curiosity, high willingness to learn and the urge to experiment with the latest technologies to create something new
- High proficiency in English, knowledge of German and other languages is advantageous
We are looking forward to your application!
Please note that we are only recruiting for this role in Germany (remotely or in one of our offices).