Python Developer | Research Tooling
RemoteGermany (office or remote), Berlin, GermanyResearch
DeepL, Europe's leading AI company since 2017, is dedicated to breaking down language barriers and bringing cultures closer together. Our expertise in AI and neural networks has enabled us to create cutting-edge communication technologies for businesses, including the acclaimed DeepL Translator which offers 30+ languages, and DeepL Write, our AI writing companion. Our core offering includes a suite of products and tools made for businesses to communicate more effectively, both internally and with their customers around the globe.
Our goal is to become the global leader in Language AI and
build products that help drive better communication, drive connection,
and make real-life impact. To do that, we need talented people, like
you, who want to be a part of this exciting journey. If you're ready to
work with a dynamic team and build your career in the fast-moving AI
space, DeepL is your next destination.
What sets us apart
We are committed to innovation and to a nurturing work environment. Founded by developers and researchers, we spend a lot of time actively reviewing the latest trends in generative AI and software engineering. Known for pioneering AI technologies, we dive deep into cutting-edge research to create not only translations, but advanced language solutions. Combining our use of modern technology, comprehensive employee benefits with our open and welcoming work culture is what sets us apart.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, the reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because of the products that have helped countless people worldwide, or maybe it's because of our shared goal of improving communication for individuals and businesses worldwide. What we're certain of is this: being part of DeepL means joining a team committed to innovation and the well-being of its employees.
Who are we looking for?
The research tooling team enables and supports the research core team by providing various tools and services so that they can focus on improving the AI that powers DeepL. We communicate directly with our “customers”, the research scientists, to understand their needs and collaborate closely with the DatacenterOps team to eliminate technical obstacles.
- You develop and maintain various tools and services, like:
- Our in-house job scheduling and container orchestration service used for model trainings, etc.
- Log extraction and analysis tools
- Internal API gateways to external services with customized functionality
- Training data visualization tools
- You support our research team with infrastructure related tasks:
- You have your hands on hundreds of servers and thousands of GPUs
- You diagnose issues reported by our core research team
- You either resolve infrastructure issues (GPU, hardware, networking, …) on your own or escalate them to the datacenter team
- You help grow the team by screening job applications, conducting interviews, and coding sessions
- Clarification: The responsibilities of this position do not include writing any machine learning code or data science related tasks
Qualities we look for
- Degree in Computer Science or a closely related subject
- At least two years of working experience in software development with Python, ideally with async/parallel code
- You have strong skills in one or more of these areas
- Backend: frameworks (e.g. FastAPI, Flask), SQL databases (e.g. PostgreSQL)
- DevOps/DatacenterOps: Linux servers (bash, ssh, networking, network storage, …), Docker, Kubernetes, Helm charts
- You are open to familiarise yourself with new technologies if required
- You enjoy solving challenging problems
- Fluent in English
What we offer
- Diverse and internationally distributed team: joining our team means becoming part of a large, global community with people of more than 90 nationalities. We're more than just colleagues; we're a group of professionals with a shared mission to connect diverse cultures. Our global presence is growing–we've doubled in size nearly every year, with our employees based in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, the US, and Japan, and we continue to expand our network.
- Open communication, regular feedback: as a language-focused company, we value the importance of clear, honest communication. We value smooth collaboration, direct and actionable feedback, and believe that leading with empathy makes us better together.
- Hybrid work, flexible hours: whether you're near or in our hubs in Austin, or prefer the comfort of your own home, you decide where your office is. We offer hybrid opportunities, including the option to work several days in the office each week. This allows you to engage directly with your team and experience the unique energy of our workspace, while still enjoying the flexibility and comfort of working from home as needed. With flexible working hours and trust in your productivity, we are in sync with your team's general locations and time zones to foster effective and seamless collaboration. Our aim is to integrate your work with your lifestyle, ensuring a balance that respects both your needs and our operational requirements, blending in-person interactions with the autonomy of remote work.
- Regular in-person team events: we bond over vibrant events that are as unique as our team, from local team and business unit gatherings, to new-joiner onboardings, to company-wide events that bring us all together–literally.
- Monthly full-day hacking sessions: every month, we have Hack Fridays, where you can spend your time diving into a project you're passionate about and get the opportunity to work with other teams–we value your initiatives, impact, and creativity.
- Comprehensive health insurance: your health comes first. With our comprehensive insurance, we'll make sure you're covered from head to toe.
- 30 days of annual leave: we value your peace of mind. With 30 days off (excluding public holidays) and access to mental health resources, we make sure you're as strong mentally as you are professionally.
- Competitive salary, high-growth scale-up: we offer a competitive salary, stock options, and the experience of a fast-growing scale-up. We've doubled in size year-over-year, so come and be part of our US story, where your contributions not only add up–they multiply.
If you feel like you might be a good fit for this role but you don’t ticket all the boxes, please apply nevertheless!