Engineering Manager | Translator Core
RemoteCologne or Berlin, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
DeepL is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Cologne, London, Amsterdam or Berlin: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
The Translator Core team develops the frontend component at the heart of DeepL’s user interface, powering the input and output text areas that millions of users worldwide rely on for their translation and rewriting needs.
Implemented in Typescript, the complex web component is embedded in our main website and desktop applications.
The team’s work is key to important company initiatives. Recently, the team worked on the successful launch of “DeepL Write”, an AI-driven product that offers advanced text rephrasing. The team’s current endeavor is the integration of Rich Text Formatting support into the text areas. We are now looking for a dedicated Engineering Manager for the Translator Core team.
- Team Performance & Excellence: You will be responsible for the performance of the team, the timely delivery of new features, the maintenance of existing features and the overall quality of the work by the team.
- People Leadership: You’ll inspire, develop, recruit and motivate a team of cross-functional engineers (currently: web frontend and qa), which includes regular 1:1s, supporting them in their development, and establishing a healthy feedback culture.
- Team Management: Together with the Product Manager you will share responsibility for the team’s strategy, quarterly goals, business and technical metrics. You will represent the team’s engineering perspective on feasibility, scalability and reliability. You will plan and allocate the team’s resources in conjunction with your Senior Engineering Manager and Craft Leads.
- Development Process: You will ensure that the team’s development process is in great shape. You will build and maintain the technical roadmap with the team and invest time and resources in quality efforts. You will maintain an up-to-date knowledge base and documentation.
- Manage growth: You enjoy accompanying change and finding new solutions together with your team and other stakeholders in a growing and rapidly changing environment.
What we offer
- The opportunity to take responsibility for a highly capable and motivated team developing a core building block of a market-leading international product
- 30% to 50% of time hands-on technical work
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down communication barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland and the Netherlands
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL no strings attached, no ‘to be reviewed’- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular in-person team events - internationally
- Led and scaled a software engineering team (minimum 2 years experience)
- Highly experienced and talented software developer, with several years of experience working as a senior software developer
- Pragmatic problem solver who enjoys both the technical and non-technical challenges associated with the Engineering Manager responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills with a strong sense of empathy and a solution-oriented mindset
- Proficient in modern web frontend development with Typescript
- Good understanding of full-stack aspects relevant to frontend development, including networking and web API design
- Ideally some backend software development experience
- Solid understanding of computational complexity and common data structures
- University degree in computer science or mathematics or comparable experience
- Fluency in English
We are looking forward to your application!
Even if you don't have all of the skills listed above, please do feel free to apply, as we might still find that you are a good match!