Engineering Manager | Business Technology
RemoteKöln, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks that help people work with language. With DeepL Translate and DeepL Write we have created the world's best systems for translating and enhancing text and made it available to businesses and individuals. Over the next few years, our aim is to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
Business Technology at DeepL
The Business Technology set of teams focus on the scalability of the business model at DeepL, which is around subscriptions and account data. We basically cover the infrastructure and revenue generating activities for how DeepL makes money: identity and access management, subscription and billing engine and platform, conversion and retention optimization, as well as invoicing and reconciliation with our financial systems, support systems, and also data flow over to enterprise software systems for our marketing and sales account management operations. We support this infrastructure for current and future use cases for our existing products, with the aim of anticipating and accelerating the business's revenue growth expectations through technology.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
- Delivery & Engineering Excellence: Together with key stakeholders, you will represent the team's engineering in terms of feasibility, cost-effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market of new or existing services and products. You will also be responsible for the timely delivery of new features, the maintenance of existing features and the establishment of high engineering excellence metrics.
- People Leadership: You'll inspire, develop, recruit and motivate a team of cross-functional engineers, which includes establishing 1:1s with people, setting their development or improvement plans, and establishing a healthy, non-retaliatory feedback culture.
- Team Management: You will be an equal partner with a member of the Product Management team, sharing responsibility for the team's strategy, quarterly goals, business- and technical metrics. You will ensure that the team's development process methodology is in great shape. You will build and maintain the technical roadmap with the team, own and actively engage in the team's technical incident management, and invest time and resources in quality efforts. You will maintain an up-to-date knowledge base and documentation of the team's services and artefacts, and plan and allocate the team's resources in conjunction with your Senior Engineering Manager and Craft Leads (where applicable).
- Manage growth: You enjoy accompanying change and finding new solutions together with your team and other stakeholders in a growing and rapidly changing environment.
- A high level of of hands-on technical experience in software development and architecture
- Proven track record of leading and scaling product development teams
- Have worked in a business-facing role to support decision making
- Deep knowledge of design and architecture for scalable infrastructure
- Experience scaling departments and processes within the domain of payments, revenue collection and user management
- Not a diehard for cloud-native architecture- we run and prioritise our own on-prem distributed cluster infrastructure
- Excellent communication skills with a strong sense of empathy and a solution-oriented mindset
- Fluency in English, our company language- any German or other languages are a plus
- Servant leadership - always putting people first in this role
- Role model behaviour - always do the right thing, be the bigger person, set an example for team members and peers
- Disagree and commit - disagreeing is important, but it will always be necessary to commit to a higher level of agreement on decisions
- Caring - We care about our people and our products
What we offer
- The opportunity to take responsibility as Engineering Manager for a highly capable and motivated team
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and Japan
- The opportunity to define and scale business processes for a market-leading international product
- Learn from some of the industry’s top minds in product engineering
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL/JP, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
We are looking forward to your application!