Engineering Manager | Data Warehouse
RemoteKöln, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks that help people work with language. With DeepL Translate and DeepL Write we have created the world's best systems for translating and enhancing text and made it available to businesses and individuals. Over the next few years, our aim is to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
Data Platform at DeepL
The Data Platform Unit is responsible for maintaining the data warehouse and the internal data platform at DeepL. We are a dedicated group of experts responsible for managing and optimizing DeepL's internal data warehouse. Our mission is to ensure data availability, accessibility, and usability across the organization. We work diligently to collect, store, and organize data, making it a valuable resource for data-driven decision-making and analytics. Our team collaborates with various departments to provide tailored solutions that support business operations and growth.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
- Delivery & Engineering Pragmatism: You will represent the team in terms of feasibility, scalability and reliability of new or existing services and infrastructure. You will also be responsible for the timely delivery of pragmatic solutions, the maintenance of existing features and the overall quality of the data warehousing infrastructure.
- People Leadership: In this role, your primary focus will be on leading a diverse team of engineers, fostering their growth, and promoting open communication while ensuring alignment on key decisions.
- Team Management: You will be an equal partner with a member of the Product Management team, sharing responsibility for the team's strategy, quarterly goals, business- and technical metrics. You will plan and allocate the team's resources in conjunction with your Senior Engineering Manager.
- Manage growth: You enjoy accompanying change and finding new solutions together with your team and other stakeholders in a growing and rapidly changing environment.
- Proven track record of leading and scaling engineering teams
- Experience in scaling departments and processes within the domain of data
- Experience with ClickHouse or other column-oriented data warehouse solutions
- Experience with distributed and data-centric systems that ingest and store massive amounts of data
- Deep knowledge of design and architecture for scalable data infrastructure
- Not a diehard for cloud-native architecture- we run and prioritise our own on-prem distributed cluster infrastructure
- You're not afraid to get your hands dirty - DeepL is scaling rapidly, there is always something to do
- Proficient knowledge of Linux and SQL
- You are curious and aren't afraid to interact with low-level systems
- You are fluent in English
What we offer
- The opportunity to take responsibility for a highly capable and motivated team
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down communication barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland and the Netherlands
- The opportunity to define and scale our own internal data platform
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular in-person team events - internationally
We are looking forward to your application!