Developer Experience Engineer
RemoteKöln, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
...is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work, we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently, we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Amsterdam, London, Cologne, or Paderborn: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
The Developer Experience team provides an easy to use system for our developers to build and run their applications. We accomplish this by utilizing Kubernetes, Gitlab CI, ArgoCD and Prometheus (to name a few) on our bare metal infrastructure across four datacenters.
You will work with our team to create a new Internal Developer Platform. This platform will offer various services aimed at improving development speed.
You help our teams ship their software in the best way possible. This includes:
- Working with other engineering teams directly in a consulting role
- Improving our shared build tooling and processes
- Monitoring our CI/CD environments for performance and errors
- Documenting and teaching best practices
What we offer
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our employees to work from the comfort of your home office in Germany, Poland, Netherlands, or the UK or in one of our comfortable offices
- State-of-the-art equipment for your workplace
- Operation at scale for products used by more than 100 million people worldwide
- The chance to work and play with state-of-the-art technologies like Kubernetes
- Interesting challenges: operating and maintaining clusters for a huge web presence
- A friendly, international, and highly committed team with a lot of trust, and very short decision-making processes
- Meaningful work: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- You're interested in the role! Whether you studied, went to a vocational school or just learned it yourself, it doesn't matter
- A communicative personality and you feel comfortable teaching others
- You have worked as a developer before, you enjoy automating stuff (we use Go/Python/Bash)
- Sound knowledge of CI/CD platforms (we use Gitlab)
If the above sounds like you, perfect!
Optionally we would also appreciate the following:
- Understanding of containers and orchestration platforms like Kubernetes
- You have already built or used an Internal Developer Platform (e.g. Backstage)
- Knowledge of different Operating Systems like Linux, Windows, macOS
If you don't tick all of the boxes above but feel like you're the right person: Don't worry, give it a shot!
We are looking forward to your application!