Datacenter Operations Engineer (f/m/d) - GER, NL, UK or PL
Standort flexibelDeutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Köln oder PaderbornEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
In this role, you and your team members will take primary responsibility for the maintenance of our datacenters. You will use modern DevOps tools and methods to automate common tasks, visualize metrics and keep the lights on the servers nice and green. Apart from that you will take part in automating the provisioning of new machines in a growing environment. You will be (remotely-) hands on to our production services as well as our high performance machine learning clusters in multiple datacenters. Your work will support our on-site datacentre engineers and from time to time you will be able to visit the sites in Germany, Iceland and Finland.
You will join our broadly skilled cross-functional DevOps department, that will be able to support and kickstart your projects with plenty of opportunity for knowledge transfer.
- Monitoring and maintenance of the huge supercomputer powering our neural network
- See a red light? Make it go green!
- Make your own life simple by automating as much work as you can with your own tools of choice, supported by us by creating free time in which you can invest in your automation skills
- For more complex tasks you will travel to the datacenters to work on site
- Facilitate a meaningful monitoring and alerting protocol
- Work with multiple hardware vendors and a top notch high performance environment
What we offer
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, the Netherlands and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL/JP, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- The opportunity to visit our datacenters in Iceland and Finland with the team
- Join our cross-functional DevOps department and take the opportunity to learn new skills from your parallel teams in Platform Engineering, Security and Build Pipelines
- Degree in computer science or a practical qualification in a related field
- Solid Linux skill with experience in any distro
- Strong scripting skills (Shell, Python, etc.)
- You have solid knowledge about the components of a server and you are able to identify issues with them
- You are motivated to learn and keen to progress your DevOps skills
- Good communication skills in English, any German would be a bonus
- A strong team spirit and collaborative working style rounds out your profile to make you a good fit for our high-performing team
Ideally, you also have one or more of the following:
- Profound Linux expertise is a plus as are any relevant certifications
- You have first experience with config management tools like Ansible or Puppet
- Deeper knowledge about networking
We are looking forward to your application!