Backend Engineer | Data Platform Core (f/m/d) - GER, UK, NL, PL
RemoteGermany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, KölnEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Cologne or Paderborn: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join a team of versatile engineers that craft libraries, tooling and the infrastructure supporting data processing at DeepL. The Data Platform combines different data sources, both internal and external and makes them available to our stakeholders company-wide: Developers, Product Development, Data Science and Management. You will work in a cross-functional team with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Data Engineers, and Developers to solve complex technical challenges.
- Research, design, implement and drive new solutions and software for solving complex data processing problems across all of DeepL
- Write services and APIs for internal teams to access our data
- Maintain and optimise workflows for dealing with data schema definitions
- Help our team to maintain and improve the infrastructure for storing, processing and streaming data
- Deployment and monitoring of the systems you write
What we offer
- We are a distributed work force enabling our employees to work from the comfort of your home office in Germany, Poland, Netherlands or the UK or in one of our comfortable offices
- State of the art equipment for your workplace
- Data at scale from products used by more than 1 billion people worldwide
- Our own data, analytics, machine learning and experimentation platform - far beyond the limitations of standard web analytics platforms
- The chance to work and play with state of the art technologies like Clickhouse, bare-metal Kubernetes and Kafka
- Interesting challenges: design and programming at the highest level
- A friendly, international, and highly committed team with a lot of trust and very short decision making processes
- Meaningful work: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- You have a strong background in software engineering
- You have professional experience in Go or another high level programming language
- You have experience with distributed systems and container orchestration and don't fear interacting with low-level systems
- You live and breathe technical detail, and you're not intimidated by spending weeks optimizing complex systems
- You are fluent in English
We are looking forward to your application!