Head of Accounting (f/m/d)
RemoteGermany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, KölnBusiness Functions
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly
positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just
want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and
What will you be doing at DeepL?
You will join a very open, international, and diverse environment, in which communication takes place on eye level across the whole company.
As our very first Head of Accounting (f/m/d) you will not only play a central role in scaling our Accounting according to our needs, but also will be responsible for guidance and mentorship of our current and future accounting team members. Day-to-Day accounting activities, up levelling our existing processes and driving automation wherever possible - these are just some of the topics you will be responsible for here at DeepL. You are the go-to-expert for all accounting-related topics and will work closely with our Head of Finance, CFO, external partners, and authorities on a daily basis. You will be tasked with bringing the accounting function in-house, be a key stakeholder during the implementation of the new ERP system (implementation of Workday is currently under way) and the transformation from HGB to IFRS by adding to the existing team and implementing all required processes, procedures, and controls for the group. We are looking for an inclusive and collaborative leader who is technical, analytical and driven. Your strong understanding of reporting and willingness to be a true business partner will support management decisions.
- You will implement best-in-class accounting processes and harmonize the accounting in our subsidiaries. You take our accounting structures to the next level. In doing so, you will leverage the capabilities of our new ERP system, drive automation and digitalization to make our accounting as efficient as possible and ensure compliance with the latest regulations
- Own our monthly and yearly closing at group and local company level in accordance with IFRS and various local GAAP and group-wide consolidation, overseeing our general ledger and ensuring that month-end and year-end financial statements are submitted on time for all entities
- In your role, you will participate in the preparation of Group and shareholder reports, relentlessly focus on improving the cycle time of our closing processes and increasing the accuracy of our financial statements
- You will lead, guide and support our rapidly growing accounting team in their personal and professional development
- In the area of payroll, you and your team ensure the timely preparation of monthly salary statements, including all related notifications and deadlines
- You have a strong understanding of Tax matters as such VAT or income tax. With your experience and the support of our tax advisors, you ensure proper and timely preparation
What we offer
- A motivated, international and very committed team with a lot of trust and very short decision-making processes
- The opportunity to actively shape and further develop all accounting and payroll processes
- Flat hierarchies and therefore a lot of room to manoeuvre. You have the chance to have a direct impact with everything you do and therefore make your mark on the business.
- Meaningful work: we tear down language barriers around the world and thus bring different cultures closer together
- Regular team and company events
- A unique work environment, combining the drive and energy of a startup with the experience of a public company
- A nice office in Cologne, Berlin, London or Amsterdam (or comparable equipment for your home office in the respective countries) and a lot of flexibility
- Work abroad opportunities and several other benefits
- 8+ years of professional experience in (group) accounting across all levels, preferably in a SaaS, tech or audit company
- Profound knowledge in IFRS and HGB accounting, tax law and payroll accounting
- At least 2 years of experience leading a team of 5+ members in a scaling company and an empathetic leadership style
- Successfully completed studies in economics with a focus on accounting or finance; professional certifications are an advantage (certified public accountant, tax consultant)
- The ability to adapt and prioritize in a constantly changing environment
- Experience implementing highly automated accounting processes and working with ERP systems such as Workday, Oracle Netsuite or SAP on a daily basis is mandatory; experience with Datev Lodas is a plus
- Very good knowledge of spoken and written German and English; Dutch or Polish is a plus
We are looking forward to your application!