Data Scientist for Product (f/m/d) - Amsterdam, London, Cologne or remote
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Cologne or London: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
You will be part of the highly motivated team that runs DeepL's analytics platform. Our growing team is a cross-functional mix of Engineers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists working towards our common goal of leveraging our user data. Your job is to create value from the vast amount of data that we gather from our more than 100 million users. You will turn this data into insights via predictive modeling and performance analyses in order to move key business metrics. By doing so, you will make a significant impact on building the best possible translation experience and overcome language barriers.
- Predicting user behavior to optimise the product, based on statistical and machine learning models
- Implement robust data workflows based on Python, Clickhouse, and Kubernetes
- Maintain and improve the codebase for our analytics applications based on Python
- Carry out deep-dive business analysis to support decision-making and strategy
- Perform in-depth analysis like customer lifetime value, cohort analysis, forecasting, and operational performance
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers and product managers
- Consult with teams to understand their mission, requirements and translate this into actionable insights
- Proactively dig through our data and make meaningful suggestions
- Identify trends in our data, provide insight and explanation to our teams to improve their impact
- Help identify, define and specify future insight and data needs to support the different business units
What we offer
- Data at scale from products used by more than 100 million people worldwide
- Our own analytics and experimentation platform - far beyond the limitations of standard web analytics platforms
- Interesting challenges: design, programming and research at the highest level
- A friendly, international, and highly committed team with a lot of trust and very short decision-making processes
- Meaningful work: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Our tech stack: Python, Kafka, Clickhouse, Metabase and Kubernetes
- A comfortable office in Cologne, Paderborn or London or suitable equipment for your home office
- You have professional experience working as a Data Scientist
- Solid knowledge of programming in Python which is our Data Science tool of choice
- Experience with Python frameworks for machine learning like scikit-learn or tensorflow
- Mastery of SQL
- Good knowledge in the foundations of statistics
- You have a Bachelor's degree in a quantitative subject, e.g. computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics or another field with a strong emphasis on quantitative analysis
- Professional experience in building machine learning models for forecasting business metrics or user behavior is a plus, e.g. recommendation engines, user clustering or churn prediction.
- Highly passionate about data, with creative problem-solving abilities and an eye for detail
- The ability to transmit information concisely and clearly - whether written, spoken or visually
- You have been working in a data oriented position in an internet company is a plus
- Practical experience with big data tools is a plus
- Fluent in English, which is our company language
We are looking forward to your application!