RemoteCologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
As DeepL's engineering teams grow, the need to automate core development processes grows with them. In this role, you will support 50+ backend engineers across multiple tracks, teams and tech stacks, working as a 'bridge' between DevOps and our backend developers. This entails working in a rapidly evolving on-premise infrastructure involving multiple datacenters, 50+ backend services and hundreds of CI pipelines per day. As a Tooling Engineer at DeepL, you will fulfil a multifaceted role involving software engineering, infrastructure setup and close communication with our development teams to understand their needs and introduce changes, as well as having direct impact on the further development of our tooling ecosystem.
- Maintain and enhance complex, dynamic CI pipelines for our backend software development
- Maintain and enhance Python infrastructure for automated integration testing
- Implement robust and frictionless workflows for continuous deployment
- Improve live monitoring of services (metrics, dashboards, tracing, logging)
- Work closely with backend software developers to eventually automate all regular tasks
What we offer
- Interesting and challenging software development work on a product that is already used by over 100 million people
- Code reviews and a focus on high quality
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, NL and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Several years of professional software development experience
- Strong proficiency in Python for scripting and automation
- Initial experience in a DevOps (or adjacent) role focusing on automation and development infrastructure
- Proficiency in the setup, maintenance and optimization of CI/CD pipelines
- Exposure to deploying software to Linux environments
- Fluent in English, knowledge of other languages is a plus
Ideally, you have one or more of the following qualifications:
- Experience with C#/ .NET Core or C++
- Kubernetes, Helm and GitOps experience
- Experience with GitLab CI & CD features
- Deep knowledge of the pytest framework
We are looking forward to your application!