Team Lead People Operations | Services & Support
Berlin or Cologne (Hybrid), Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyPeople and Culture
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
As the Team Lead for our People Services & Support unit within the People Operations, you'll assume a central role in establishing structure and guidance during DeepL's phase of rapid expansion. Within our People Operations organization, you'll lead our tightly-knit team of 4 colleagues, further nurturing our already exceptional team culture where every member flourishes. Your responsibilities encompass exemplary leadership, hands-on mentoring, and active participation across diverse People domains, all aimed at ensuring a seamless employee experience.
In addition to your team leadership responsibilities, your role underscores our commitment to cross-functional, interdepartmental collaboration within our global team setup. Your collaborative approach will contribute to the holistic success of our organization, fostering unity and a shared sense of purpose.
- By leading with mentorship, you'll empower your team to develop their skills, build confidence, and excel in their respective roles
- Acting as a point of escalation for more complex employee questions with empathy by applying advanced knowledge of Workforce/Labor law across People processes
- Lead the creation and management of global employee contracts while mentoring the team on best practices
- Implement and execute internal controls to make sure internal regulations, documentation, payroll calculations, etc. are correct and compliant
- Take ownership of employee records management, distribution of People related amendments, documents and certificates ensuring data accuracy and compliance with regulations
- Developing and implement systems and workflows to provide a state-of-the-art employee experience. Address all people-related requests from our international workforce, leveraging your expertise to offer top-tier support
What we offer
- A friendly, international and very committed People team with a lot of trust and very short decision-making processes
- Flat hierarchies and a lot freedom to drive projects in a creative way
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, NL and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Benefits such as JobRad, fitness club membership, Lunchit (daily lunch allowance), travel health insurance for private and professional trips abroad and individual learning budgets
- A nice office in Cologne or Berlin with fresh fruits, snacks, drinks and good humor - the possibility to work remotely and a lot of flexibility
- Generous annual leave allowance
- You feel at home in a remote-friendly tech startup environment with rapid change and evolution
- Profound professional experience in a similar lead function in the area of People Operations/ HR
- You have a clear understanding of People Operations practices and legal requirements from which you draw confidence and enthusiasm in running and initiating HR projects
- Familiarity with the critical components of a successful People Operations department including employment law, employee experience, HR systems, etc.
- Total fluency in English, German and German labor law
- Clear, strong verbal communication and consulting skills and the ability to build strong relationships with your team and with stakeholders across the organization
- We expect to see you at least monthly at our Cologne HQ for planning and mentoring over snacks and coffee after attending one of our beloved barista classes