Senior Legal Counsel | Lead Lawyer Commercial Team
RemoteCologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyLegal
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
We are growing very fast and gaining a large number of customers every day. It is an exciting time! At the same time, our tasks, contracts and administrative workload are increasing. This is where your expertise comes in: If you are looking for a new challenge in a digital and growing environment, and if you enjoy issues such as negotiating contracts and setting up new structures, then we need you. With your experience and motivation, you will contribute to the work and efficiency of our business lawyers by managing and developing, implementing and optimising new and existing processes.
- You will lead a team of currently 5 commercial lawyers. You will advise our sales team and negotiate contracts with our clients
- Support the team with your experience in complex matters and be responsible for their development
- You will also be responsible for the allocation of workload and the establishment of processes to ensure that matters are handled in an efficient manner
- You will be in close contact with the sales management and will be responsible for the strategic development of the team in line with the expansion of the company
What we offer
- Make an impact! We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up. Over the last year we doubled in size with employees located across UK, Japan, USA, Netherlands, Germany and Poland
- We’ve got your back. We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but the human approach, trust, empathy, and inclusivity are just as important
- Regular innovative team-building events - internationally
- The opportunity to shape a product experience for an unlimited market with a diverse customer base (international customers, from start-ups to large corporations)
- Flexible Work Arrangements. With office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work
- Part-time possible (at least 80%)
- You are a fully qualified lawyer (German and/or UK) with an above-average degree and several years' experience working in in-house legal departments (preferably in a technology company)
- Several years of relevant leadership experience managing and scaling a team of commercial lawyers
- Understand the challenges of fast-growing businesses and enjoy implementing and streamlining processes (e.g. contract negotiation playbook)
- Extensive experience in reviewing and negotiating customer and service provider contracts (English and German), familiar with the requirements of large international clients (e.g. MSA set-up). You are also familiar with specific contractual constellations in the SaaS area (e.g. reselling or system integration)
- A solid understanding of German or UK civil law (including data protection issues) and legal processes and the ability for structured, accurate and accountable work
- In addition, you are proficient in the use of common office tools and are able to quickly familiarise yourself with new software systems. Solid technical knowledge, especially in the field of legal tech, is an advantage
- Ability to think on your feet, adapt quickly to changing priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills, comfortable in an environment with lawyers, other business functions, developers and linguists
- You are fluent in spoken and written English. Good knowledge of German is an advantage
Feel free to apply in German or English.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!