Senior Backend Engineer C++ (w/m/d) - GER, UK, NL, PL or Remote
Standort flexibelRemote, Nordrhein-Westfalen, DeutschlandEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Amsterdam, London, Cologne or Paderborn: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
Thanks to our unique neural networks, DeepL is able to deliver the world’s best quality. In order to keep it that way, we are constantly improving our apps and adding exciting new features - and this is where your experience in developing sophisticated software comes in.
In order for the technology to be used by millions of users, we develop high-performance backend systems that process all language-related requests. For this we rely on RPC servers and load balancers written in C++. You will join a passionate team that values secure, maintainable, modern (C++ 23) and fast code. Architecture decisions are made by the whole team in open discussions.
- Design, implement and test reliable, scalable, maintainable and efficient backend services for DeepL's products in C++
- Contribute to monitoring and debugging the services in production, e.g. by defining expressive metrics and ensuring informative logs
- Work with your team to optimize our services, e.g. by solving interesting algorithmic challenges or by improving the architecture
What we offer
- Interesting and challenging software development work on a product that is already used by over 100 million people
- Code reviews and a focus on high quality
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, NL and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL, no strings attached – DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- State of the art equipment for your workplace
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Senior engineer with several years of relevant software development experience
- Strong proficiency in modern C++
- Solid understanding of algorithmic complexity and common data structures
- Experience of deploying software in Linux environments
- Enjoy solving difficult problems efficiently and effectively
- Curious to learn and to understand details, be it programming languages, libraries, tools or systems
- Excellent communication skills in English, knowledge of German or any other languages is a plus
- Experience working as both an individual contributor and collaborator
Ideally, you have one or more of the following qualifications
- Experience in developing web services (HTTP, gRPC, asynchronous programming, ...)
- In-depth knowledge of building and optimizing high-traffic web services for Linux
- Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g. Python, Go)
- Experience in deploying services to bare-metal Kubernetes clusters
If you don't tick all of these boxes above but feel like you're the right person: Don't worry, give it a shot!
We are looking forward to your application!