Senior Backend Engineer | Abuse Protection
RemoteGermany, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Poland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available to everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
As a Senior Backend Engineer in the Abuse Protection team at DeepL, you’ll help to protect our growing business from rogue agents. We ensure that both free users and paying customers do not abuse our services through excessive or malicious requests, by monitoring and managing usage data, as well as building the necessary interventions when something seems amiss. If you enjoy combining your backend skills with high-volume distributed systems, infrastructure and networking topics, this team could be the fit for you!
- Design, implement, and maintain a scalable, high-throughput back-end traffic and usage monitoring and analysis system
- Contribute to ensuring the high availability and reliability of DeepL's service even in the event of attacks
- Integrate automatic blocking of malicious clients into all backend services
- Incorporate advanced bot detection technologies
- Be part of shaping a growing interdisciplinary team
What we offer
- Interesting and challenging software development work on a product that is already used by over 100 million people
- Code reviews and a focus on high quality
- Meaningful work at scale: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up! Over the last year we doubled in size, hiring new colleagues across UK, Germany, Poland, NL and Japan
- We’ve got your back! We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but trust, empathy, inclusivity and an overall ‘human-first’ approach are just as important to us
- Flexible Work Arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne, Berlin, London, and Amsterdam, you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work from UK/DE/NL/PL, no strings attached, no 'to be reviewed'- DeepL is a remote-positive company now and forever
- Regular innovative team-building events- internationally!
- Several years of experience in software development with a statically typed OOP language (C# (preferred), Java, Rust, C++,…)
- Experience with server-side frameworks, preferably ASP.NET Core
- Working knowledge of C# and .NET Core
- Solid understanding of algorithmic complexity and common data structures
- Strong team player with the ability to develop and push own ideas and work independently on a feature
- Effective and pragmatic; you can weigh between "perfect" and "good enough" depending on priorities and business impact
- Creative and proactive in finding weaknesses and attack vectors in the current system
- Good understanding of networking, the internet, and the web (HTTP, gRPC, reverse proxying, load balancing)
We'd especially love to talk if you have:
- Mathematical / statistical background
- Experience in statistical data analysis
- Experience with development and operation of large-scale, high-throughput, high-reliability architectures (Kubernetes, Kafka, Prometheus, Grafana)
We are looking forward to your application!