Linux Engineer | Data Center Operations
RemoteCologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyEngineering
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
We are constantly looking for outstanding employees! Currently, we offer remote work in Germany, the Netherlands, the UK, and Poland. Whether you would like to work from home in one of these countries or from one of our offices in Amsterdam, London, Cologne, or Paderborn: the choice is yours. No matter where you choose to work from, our way of working is designed to make you an essential part of the team.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
Within the DevOps department, our data centre team manages all infrastructure systems in our remote sites. As part of this team, you will design and operate IT Infrastructure and fundamental data centre services for our customer base and internal users. You will be hands-on with our servers, and as their numbers go into thousands, you will implement tooling and automation wherever it makes sense.
You will work (remotely) on our production services and high-performance machine-learning clusters on multiple sites. Your tasks will involve coordinating staff on-site, and you will be able to visit the sites from time to time. You will join a team of broadly skilled engineers who will be able to support and kick-start your projects.
- Take over responsibility for Configuration, Administration, Maintenance and Monitoring of parts of our complex Linux-based infrastructure
- Work on a project basis and contribute to our sites' ongoing renewal and optimization according to our architectural plans
- Fixing unexpected hiccups is part of your daily doing
- Make your own life easy by automating as much work as possible with our state-of-the-art toolchain
- Use monitoring and metrics to create insights
- Working with multiple hardware vendors and a world-class, high-performance environment
- For more complex tasks, you may travel to the data centres to work on-site
- After sufficient training, you will be part of our 24/7 on-call rotation (paid extra)
What we offer
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our employees to work from the comfort of your home office in Germany, Poland, Netherlands, or the UK or in one of our comfortable offices
- State-of-the-art equipment for your workplace
- Almost completely open-source technology on the inside - if we run it, we can fix it ourselves
- Operation at scale for products used by more than 100 million people worldwide
- A friendly, international, and highly committed team with a lot of trust, and a concise decision-making processes
- Meaningful work: We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Degree in computer science or a practical qualification in a related field
- You have solid Linux administration skills
- Basic network administration
- You feel at home when you see a Linux shell
- You understand config management (Puppet or Ansible)
- You have solid knowledge about the components of a server, and you are able to identify issues with them
- Good communication skills in English. Any German would be a bonus
- A strong team spirit and collaborative working style would make you a good fit for our high-performing team
Ideally, you also have one or more of the following:
- Profound Linux expertise is a plus
- Deeper knowledge about networking
- Puppet Experience
- Knowledge of Netboot, PXE, IPXE, Custom Linux images
If you don't tick all of the boxes above but feel like you're the right person: Don't worry, give it a shot!
We are looking forward to your application!