HR Manager (f/m/d) - Japan
Tokyo, Tokyo, JapanPeople and Culture
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created the world's best machine translation system and made it available free of charge to everyone online. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest topics. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our work culture is very open because we want our employees to feel comfortable. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
DeepL is continuously growing into Japan and we are seeking a highly experienced HR Specialist to join our team. You will play a key role in further setting up the Japanese department and executing the HR strategy in Japan. As an HR Specialist, you will be responsible for overseeing all HR-related fields, including Operations, Labour Law, People Development, HR Business Partnering, and support in Japan-based recruiting.
- As the first point of contact for our Japanese colleagues, you handle all their DeepL questions and provide a warm welcome to our newcomers. Our DeeopLe in Japan can come to you for support with their career development and employee relations among other topics
- You'll support us with your extensive knowledge of the Japanese market as we build out this team and business entity
- As well as your work on Team Japan, you collaborate with your Europe-based colleagues in both People & Culture and senior leadership with projects that influence the wider business
- You’ll master and further improve our HR processes for greater accuracy and punctuality
- Employee wellbeing, retention and engagement are crucial as we grow- we'll rely on you to innovate in these areas and bring in new ideas for both our Japanese and international teams
- Set the stage for the growth of a Japan-based HR team
- With strong knowledge of Japanese labour law, you develop and implement Japancompliant HR policies and procedures
- You'll invest in and improve relationships with potential external partners in all hr-related fields.
- You’ll be our go-to for data and analytics on our growth in Japan, providing expert insights to guide us as we scale further
- Fluent in English and Japanese (both spoken and written).
- Several years of relevant experience as an HR specialist or similar role at a senior level.
- Deep knowledge of Japanese labor law and HR practices.
- Proven experience in working for international technology and/or SaaS companies, preferably in scale-up phase.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Spend at least 3 days at our office in Tokyo per week.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, agile environment.
What we offer
- Make an impact! We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up. Over the last year we doubled in size with employees located across UK, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Japan
- We’ve got your back. We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but the human approach, trust, empathy, and inclusivity are just as important
- Regular innovative team-building events – internationally, as well as whole company events
- The opportunity to shape a product experience for an unlimited market with a diverse customer base (international customers, from start-ups to large corporations)
- Hack-Fridays – Every month we have a dedicated, interruption-free day on a company-wide scale to work on a project of your choice. Whatever it might be, if it means something to you, this is your day to do it.
- With our people-centric approach, we value Life-Domain Balance and mental well-being! Therefore we offer flexible hours and a mental well-being app with access to psychologists, group sessions, and self-guided learning tools
We are looking forward to your application!