Research Engineer | High Performance Computing (HPC)
RemoteGermany (office or remote), Nordrhein-Westfalen, GermanyResearch
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to
help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created
the world's best machine translation system and made it available to
everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL
the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
Who are we looking for?
At DeepL, we work at the cutting edge of science and technology to deliver the world's best AI communication technology. In order to do this, we are constantly improving our hard- and software at scale to train and evaluate our advanced neural networks, as well as serve them for inference.
We are looking for Research Engineers with a proven track record in high performance distributed systems, who will work in close collaboration with our team of research scientists.
- You will help to unleash the full potential of our large-scale, high-performance GPU research cluster.
- You will work on distributed software systems and also delve into computational kernels.
- Together with our researchers, you will ensure that our state-of-the-art models are implemented correctly and efficiently.
What we offer
- Make an impact! We break down language barriers worldwide and bring different cultures closer together
- Experience the excitement of a rapidly growing scale-up. Over the last year we doubled in size with employees located across UK, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Japan
- We’ve got your back. We are an experienced, highly committed team with transparent decision-making processes. We cherish collaboration and efficiency, but the human approach, trust, empathy, and inclusivity are just as important
- Flexible work arrangements: with office hubs in Cologne and Berlin you choose where and how you work. We offer fully remote work
- Regular innovative team-building events – internationally, as well as whole company events
- The opportunity to shape a product experience for an unlimited market with a diverse customer base (international customers, from start-ups to large corporations)
- Hack-Fridays – Every month we have a dedicated, interruption-free day on a company-wide scale to work on a project of your choice. Whatever it might be, if it means something to you, this is your day to do it.
- Stay healthy – We offer a private health and travel insurance that comes with a bonus you can spend on vision, dental or any other needs
- With our people-centric approach, we value Life-Domain Balance and mental well-being! Therefore we offer 30 days of holiday and provide a mental well-being app with access to psychologists, group sessions, and self-guided learning tools
- Annual education budget to advance your skills with courses & qualifications of your choice
- You have a highly quantitative background, as demonstrated, for example, by a master's or doctoral degree in computer science, mathematics, physics, or a related field.
- You are an accomplished software engineer and enjoy solving challenging problems.
- Good working knowledge of Python
- Proficiency in idiomatic C++, following the modern conventions of C++11 and later
- Firsthand experience with parallel programming frameworks such as CUDA or MPI
- Good communication skills in English. Any German would be advantageous.
- Your are passionate for high performance in scalable software systems. Their robustness and maintainability are important concerns to you
- Good understanding of the high performance programming model for GPUs and/or CPUs
- Experience with modern machine learning frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, or JAX
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of deep learning models like Transformers
If you don't tick all of the boxes but feel like you're the right person: Don't worry, give it a shot!