Data Engineer (f/m/d) Language Data
RemoteGermany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, DE remote or DE officeResearch
is Germany's best-known AI company. We develop neural networks to
help people work with language. With DeepL Translator, we have created
the world's best machine translation system and made it available to
everyone free of charge. Over the next few years, we aim to make DeepL
the world's leading language technology company.
Our goal is to overcome language barriers and bring cultures closer together.
What distinguishes us from other companies?
DeepL (formerly Linguee) was founded by developers and researchers. We focus on the development of new, exciting products, which is why we spend a lot of time actively researching the latest trends and technologies. We understand the challenges of developing new products and try to meet them with an agile and dynamic way of working. Our open and positive workplace philosophy enables employees to feel comfortable and thrive in their roles. In our daily work we use modern technologies - not only to translate texts, but also to create the world's best dictionaries, and solve other language-related problems.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because they have enjoyed our services, or maybe they just want to get on board with our quest to break down language barriers and facilitate communication.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
You will join a highly motivated team that collects, filters, processes, and assesses the quality of vast amounts of linguistic data. The resulting corpora are one of the key ingredients for training the machine learning models that enable our products to understand the intricacies of human language. Our team improves and extends our data processing algorithms and also designs and operates our large-scale computing systems, which run on hundreds of servers. Together, you will collaborate with research scientists and language experts to analyze language data for its unique characteristics, identify linguistic challenges, and find scalable and pragmatic solutions that improve the quality of our corpora.
Depending on your skills and interests, some or all of the following:
- research, design, implement, operate, maintain, and drive new solutions and software to gather and process linguistic data
- ensure that our solutions perform well at scale, are maintainable, and are accessible to experimentation
Play to your strengths and contribute with creativity, thoroughness, pragmatism, foresight, ingenuity, persistence, or something else that brings the team forward.
- work at the core of what feeds DeepL's products and experience languages from all over the world
- interesting challenges in engineering and research at the bleeding edge
- find your way and grow into a field with relevance: large scale data processing and machine learning will continue to rise in importance for our everyday lives
- a friendly and highly committed team with a lot of trust, where everybody has the power to make decisions
- meaningful work: we break down language barriers worldwide and bring people of different cultures closer together
- contribute to a product used by more than 1 billion people worldwide
- well-connected colleagues from all over Germany – working from home is as welcome as using one of our comfortable offices
- state of the art equipment for your workplace in our offices or at your home
- You have professional experience in Python.
- You have a solid understanding of algorithms.
- You have one of these (multiples are a plus):
- You are a good communicator and team player.
- You are fluent in English and speak another language on top of that.
- experience with Natural Language Processing (NLP) and various forms of Machine Learning (ML)
- professional experience in modern C++
- experience with distributed systems, computer networks, container orchestration, and no fear to interact with low-level systems
- a strong understanding of data centric systems and distributed task automation