Customer Support Team Lead | Japan
Tokyo, Tokyo, JapanCustomer Team
Our goal is to become the global leader in Language AI and build products that help drive better communication, drive connection, and make real-life impact. To do that, we need talented people, like you, who want to be a part of this exciting journey. If you're ready to work with a dynamic team and build your career in the fast-moving AI space, DeepL is your destination.
What sets us apart
We are committed to innovation and to a nurturing work environment. Founded by developers and researchers, we spend a lot of time actively reviewing the latest trends in generative AI and software engineering. Known for pioneering AI technologies, we dive deep into cutting-edge research to create not only translations, but advanced language solutions. Combining our use of modern technology, comprehensive employee benefits with our open and welcoming work culture is what sets us apart.
When we tell people about DeepL as an employer, the reactions are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it's because of the products that have helped countless people worldwide, or maybe it's because of our shared goal of improving communication for individuals and businesses worldwide. What we're certain of is this: being part of DeepL means joining a team committed to innovation and the well-being of its employees.
What will you be doing at DeepL?
DeepL is tech for good, dismantling language barriers around the world and constantly expanding to new markets. Be part of our growth right at the centre of the DeepL customer experience by joining as Customer Support Team Lead in Japan. This exciting opportunity comes as our customer support team is growing fast to meet the needs of our customers. As we scale our business, we need help in leading our Support Team. We are looking for a real ‘people person’, to help lead a happy team of Specialists and enable them to be successful here at DeepL. We are looking for someone who embraces change and is able to navigate through ambiguity. If this sounds like you, continue reading!
- Coach and lead a group of Support Specialists
- Support your team in their day-to-day work, unblocking any challenges they may have
- Assist with the hiring/interviewing of new team members
- Help your team members improve their productivity & efficiency
- Support to build and maintain a great culture within the team
- Assist with training & onboarding of new starts
- Help your team members with their skills & career development
- Hold regular 1:1s with your team members
- Support in the running of weekly team meetings
- Utilise our data dashboards to anticipate customer and team trends
- Work to identify opportunities to improve team performance & efficiencies
- Collaborate on projects to support the delivery of department OKRs
- Partner up cross functionally to help with the delivery of projects & process improvements.
- Helping others comes naturally to you, and you are passionate about the customer experience
- Native Japanese and Fluent English is a must
- You have a passion for customer support and bring 2+ years of experience working in a support team
- Preferably, you have experience in leading a support team
- You thrive in ambiguity
- Solving problems and learning new things is what you enjoy
- You are empathetic and understanding of others’ needs and actively show an interest in coaching & leadership
- Ability to look at data to understand and interpret issues ahead of time
- You have strong communication skills (written, verbal), and Partner Management experience
- Your pro-active nature and willingness to try new things helps you to master ambiguous situations
- Happy with a hybrid model for the office.
What we offer
- Diverse and internationally distributed team: joining our team means becoming part of a large, global community with people of more than 90 nationalities. We're more than just colleagues; we're a group of professionals with a shared mission to connect diverse cultures. Our global presence is growing–we've doubled in size nearly every year, with our employees based in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, the US, and Japan, and we continue to expand our network.
- Open communication, regular feedback: as a language-focused company, we value the importance of clear, honest communication. We value smooth collaboration, direct and actionable feedback, and believe that leading with empathy makes us better together.
- Hybrid work, flexible hours: whether you're near our hub in Tokyo, or prefer the comfort of your own home, you decide where your office is. We offer flexible working hours and trust in your productivity, all in sync with your team's general locations and time zones to foster effective and seamless collaboration. Our aim is to integrate your work with your lifestyle, ensuring a balance that respects both your needs and our operational requirements.
- Regular in-person team events: we bond over vibrant events that are as unique as our team, from local team and business unit gatherings, to new-joiner onboardings, to company-wide events that bring us all together–literally.
- Comprehensive health insurance: your health comes first. With our comprehensive insurance, we'll make sure you're covered from head to toe.
- 20 days of annual leave: we value your peace of mind. With 20 days off (excluding public holidays) and access to mental health resources, we make sure you're as strong mentally as you are professionally.
- Annual learning budget: because we never stop learning, we’ve set up an annual budget for your professional development—pick a learning path that contributes to your career development and we'll back you up.
Please make sure to send your application in English.